The Volkswagen Westfalia LT Como Camper Model History
Circa 1976 the VW Westfalia LT Como model was introduced. At around the same time another less equipped model called the VW LT28 Westfalia Salzburg was also introduced. The Westfalia Como model was similar and replaced the earlier model known as the VW LT28 “Deluxe” model camper. The VW Westfalia “Como” was available in three configurations with either a top locker above the drivers cab or a fold out bed.
1) VW Westfalia LT Como Camper engine options and approx price (exclusive tax when new in standard form):
No price list for base vehicle yet. If you have one please send me a copy and help improve the site ;-)
From 0x/197x price list. Prices are in German Deutschmark:
First you had to pay for the base vehicle:
Volkswagen LT 28 Hightop Bus, Petrol Motor with 2.0 litre, 55 KW (75 PS) 4 Speed Gearbox, load weight 2800 kg, wheelbase 2500 mm xx DM
Volkswagen LT 28 Hightop Bus, Diesel Motor with 2.7 litre, 48 KW (65 PS) 4 Speed Gearbox, load weight 2800 kg, wheelbase 2500 mm xx DM
Then the additional cost of the furniture and fittings:
From 03/1977 price list. Prices are in German Deutschmark:
Como with top locker in roof above drivers cab. 16,715 DM. Order Number 217 001 000 001
Como with pull out bed (1500 x 900 mm) instead of top locker in roof above drivers cab. 16,871 DM. Order Number 217 001 000 002
Como with pull out double bed (2000 x 1600 mm) instead of top locker in roof above drivers cab, additional roof storage lockers on the right and left, roof vent over the double bed and a reading light. 18,188 DM. Order Number 217 001 000 003
2) VW Westfalia LT Como Camper Colour Options
Believed to be available in the following colours:
R1R1 Pastel White (L90D) (Pastellweiss) (with white roof).
E6E6 Marino yellow (L20A) (Marinogelb) (with white roof).
P4P4 Taiga Green (L63H) (Taigagrün) (with white roof).
However I have no official colour info yet so if you have any information for the Volkswagen Westfalia LT Como camper please send it to me.
3) VW Westfalia LT Como Camper Furniture Specification
The VW LT28 Como camper was available in two configurations:
1) Westfalia Como with roof locker above drivers cab.
2) Westfalia Como with fold out bed above drivers cab.
The VW Westfalia LT Como Camper layout consisted of:
1) Kitchen cabinet with two flame gas cooker with room for two 5 kg gas bottles, stainless steel sink with 12 v water pump, mixer tap, 75 litre freshwater tank, 45 litre fridge working from 12v, 220v and gas, two drawers.
2) Wardrobe with linen area.
3) Half height linen and tableware cupboard.
4) Half height storage cupboard with folding table.
5) Shower cubicle with with washbasin, gas water heater, mixer tap and shower outlet. 70 litre waste water tank under vehicle body. Under the washbasin is room for a portable toilet.
6) Upholstered seat bank facing direction of travel.
7) Upholstered seats facing the rear. Storage space in the right hand seat.
- In the left hand seat is a gas heater (3300kcal) with fan and air outlets in the shower, seats and kitchen area.
8) Upholstery pad that is used for the construction of the bed.
9) Dinner table at rear is adjustable and removable.
- large roof locker above drivers cab.
- roof locker over the kitchen.
The fold out bed measures 185 cm x 130 cm.
VW Westfalia LT Como Camper Interior Photos
The 1976 Volkswagen Westfalia LT Como camper had oak coloured furniture.
4) VW Westfalia LT Como Camper Upholstery Specification
The upholstery in the VW Westfalia LT Como camper had orange-green-brown-black stripes.
The curtains in the VW Westfalia LT Como camper were green.
5) Volkswagen Westfalia LT Como Camper High Top Roof Specification
The high top roof on the VW Westfalia LT Como camper was the same high top roof as the one used on the standard VW High room panel van.
The inside height of the vehicle was 186 cm.
6) VW Westfalia LT Como Camper Flooring and Carpeting Specification
The flooring in the rear of the VW Westfalia LT Como camper was a beige brown carpet or lino.
7) Volkswagen Westfalia LT Como Camper Door Trim Specification
Door trims - Dark brown vinyl.
8) Volkswagen Westfalia LT Como Camper Standard Model Specification
Length - 484 cm
Width - 202 cm
High - 257 cm (267 cm with roof vent)
Five double glazed windows in rear living area. One opening window.
Double glazed roof vent with mosquito net in the shower cubicle and over the kitchen.
Auxiliary battery with automatic 220 volt charger.
220 Volt external hook up with three internal outlet sockets.
Two switchable lights 12 V / 220 V and one 12 V transistor light in the shower cubicle.
The side walls of the living room and the roof are insulated with 25 mm thick insulation.
The roof and side wall panelling are plastic coated and beige coloured. The floor is a Bitumen insulating board.
9) Options available at extra cost included:
There were many options available at extra cost for your Westfalia LT Como Camper. Below is a list of some of them taken from 03/1977 price list. Prices include tax and are in German Deutschmark:
Folding bed (1800 x 650 mm on the side above the rear seating (only with base vehicle 217 001 000 001). Cost 415 DM. Order Number 217 002 856 010
Roof storage lockers on the side above the rear seating. Maximum of two with storage area in between can be ordered. For base vehicle 217 001 000 001 and 217 001 000 002. When 217 001 000 001 folding bed option is not possible in combination with this option. Cost 190 DM (each). Order Number 217 002 220 001
Portable toilet, two piece (including chemicals). Cost 496 DM. Order Number 217 001 209 010
Motor cover, sound and heat insulation, made from brown quilted imitation leather. Cost 98 DM. Order Number 217 001 894 010
10) Accessories available at extra cost included:
There were many accessories available at extra cost for your Westfalia LT Como Camper. Below is a list of some of them taken from 03/1977 price list. Prices include tax and are in German Deutschmark
Freestanding Awning. Cost 898 DM. Order Number 216 006 433 001
Canopy, 2500 x 1900 mm with poles. Cost 145 DM. Order Number 216 006 433 010
Additional bed, 1770 x 700 mm, fits over seats in drivers cab. Cost 306 DM. Order Number 217 003 856 010
Curtains for between drivers cab and living area. Cost 193 DM. Order Number 217 001 889 020
Roof vent, double glazed with mosquito nets. Cost 380 DM. Order Number 217 001 145 001
Cable drum with 25 m cable and connection cable 220 V. Cost 110 DM. Order Number 216 001 345 020
Propane gas bottle 5 kg. Cost 59 DM. Order Number 216 005 246 005
Fire extinguisher, Cost 38 DM. Order Number 216 011 250 010
Water canister, 10 litre. Cost 14 DM. Order Number 216 011 250 015
Water sack, 10 litre. Cost 21 DM. Order Number 216 011 250 018
Curtains in drivers cab, padded and quilted. Cost 196 DM. Order Number 217 003 889 001
11) VW Westfalia LT Como Camper Side Stripes and Logos
VW Westfalia LT Como Camper side stripes and driver and passenger door decals
12) Links to Volkswagen Westfalia LT Como Camper Sales Brochures (Prospekt) and Price Lists (Preiseliste)
Please note that some of the links take you to an external site called vwpix.org, which is an excellent source of sales literature for all versions of VW camper van. Most of the brochures are in German language as this was the main market.